Friday, February 6, 2015

New project alert! 

This is the cutest thing ever! 

Once again I am honored to be doing another project for our illustrious leader of Stitch Corp, Maddie Kertay from the Bad Ass Quilters Society.

My cousin is going to go nuts over this this bee~utiful quilt pattern!  At Christmas time she brought me my very own jar of honey from her bees! So this one is perfect for her! 


Packages from Spool always come neatly wrapped!


And the contents are even better!  

 

The pattern is called Apiary by Casey York ~~  The link below will get you to this pattern over at Spool.

http://www.spoolquilt.com/shop/Patterns/p/Apiary-By-Casey-York-x3168700.htm


The fabric is also linked below. This fabric was specially bundled for this pattern! Perfect match!


You can also find Casey's patterns here, she has other appliques like sharks!


This fabric is truly inspirational with this pattern!

So let's get started!

First read all the instructions before starting!  I used Steam -a-Seam 2 for this project.  Please check your fusible before you start.  You want a fusible that will be permanent for this project.  

I traced all the applique pieces onto my Steam-a-Seam 2.  Casey has a very nice sheet that has all your applique pieces on it and is very trace-friendly.  No standing at the window trying to trace! 
This one dandelion in the picture below had to be traced with the end  below it since it didn't fit completely on the one sheet of fusible.



After tracing all your pieces onto the fusible, you will want to iron them onto the back of your fabric choices.  

And now we cut! I cut each piece out of the fabric.  You will want a sharp pair of scissors for this, so as not to fray your applique edges as you are cutting them out.


~And we cut



And cut~


~And cut....... 






Once you have all your pieces cut, square up your background fabric.  This pattern calls for a 55" x 70" piece for the background.  I made this one smaller, wall hanging size with less negative space approx. 44" x 60".

I used my design wall to pin the fabric up to after I folded and found the center of my background.
After finding center I went to work on arranging the applique pieces as the pattern shows.  It makes a really cute honeycomb shape!  Easy, simple and a make in a day kind of quilt!

                       






        













I can't wait to make one for myself and quilt all that negative space with hexies as honeycombs, bees, and hives!  I may even piece some hexies out of the matching fabric and applique on!  Go check out these awesome patterns and fabric, great winter project!

No comments:

Post a Comment