Sunday, November 9, 2014


Blast off with the International Quilt Festival in Houston ~

The Houston Quilt Festival was a wonderful and amazing event, a week full of many "firsts."  As some of you already know, my two GIS quilts were juried in the competition show. The category for both quilts was: Quilts: A World of Beauty – Art-Abstract, small.  The Painted Desert and Susitna Glacier are the first two quilts in my new series “Earth in Three Bands: R, G, B.  Although I did not win a monetary prize, I came home with two finalist ribbons!  It is a thrill and an honor to know my art, inspiration, and hard work were juried in to an international competition!

2014 Houston Red Ribbon Finalist

While in Houston, I had a debut video filmed for my featured quilts.  Thanks to Quilt Alliance, I had the opportunity to “Go Tell it at the Quilt Show” and be a part of their project.  It will be out on You Tube soon, so stay tuned!  I will also post to the blog when it becomes available.
 
Entering this show was one of my goals for the Visioning Project from S.A.Q.A.  The Studio Art Quilt Association (S.A.Q.A.) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote art quilting through education, exhibitions, professional development and more. I am enrolled in the Visioning Project which is helping me to visualize my goals and act upon them.  You chart your path for the year with your specific goals; whether it be to start a blog, enter your work into juried competitions, build a body of art work for a gallery exhibition, or to eventual sell your art.  

I feel that by joining S.A.Q.A. this year, I have progressed at developing and setting important goals that I actually can accomplish, which has helped me grow as an artist.  Writing this blog is just one of my goals for this year.  If you would like to get more information about S.A.Q.A. and join in the excitement and what they have to offer go to http://www.saqa.com.  There are quite a few different membership areas. If you have any questions let me know and we can talk about what’s available and how you can bring your visions to fruition.   It’s been a very worthwhile program for me and I will make this one of my main focal groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment