Monday, November 24, 2014

Bad Ass Quilters Society Stitch Corp Unite ~~
It’s gotten cold here and lo and behold, it's snowing. Rightfully so since it is Northeast Ohio AND it is winter!  This morning when I woke up, I really had a hankering for a bowl of oatmeal.  Not the kind you nuke in the microwave, but REAL oatmeal cooked on the stovetop. The kind that my mom used to make.  I remember every winter morning my mom would get the old Franklin fireplace started and we’d bring our clothes down that we would be wearing that day to school and drape them over our chairs in front of the stove.  She’d have the TV trays ready so that we could eat our hot oatmeal by the fire!  What a glorious memory of days gone by.  Although I didn’t have any oatmeal in the house, I settled for sewing in my jammies and a piece of toast with wine jelly!
While sewing, I got an idea to blog for you fine people about the Bad Ass Quilters Society Stitch Corp. Excitingly, I have been asked to be one of their team members! As Maddie writes on her website:
 It is our intention to fill our Stitch Corps with the best and most innovative individuals who like to share their process, their opinions, their outcomes and their samples with the wider world.”  (http://www.badassquilterssociety.com).
I feel so honored, and dare I say "badass," to be a part of this amazing project. So today I'd like to blog about my first project for the Stitch Corp. 




The pattern is Loose Change by Hunter's Design Studio with Pointillist Palette – Sorbet Colorstory fabric.   At first glance of the fabric I said to myself “Ok, I do like these colors, but hmmm it’s going to be a bit boring if I only have 5 colors to work with.” As I turned the fabric over I let out this squeal of delight!  The fabric is gradient colors….so 5 colors is not accurate by any means!  You will see what I mean as we go thru the process and see the final quilt.
            









This quilt pattern is easy peasy also!  So if you need something very quick and easy to work up in a weekend….this Loose Change pattern is the bomb. 


 Step 1. I cut off the salvage as stated in the pattern.  I then cut these into strips.                                    


Step 2. I cut Pennies from one end of each strip.  Pennies were reserved for later in the final assembling of each strip.




Step 3.  The background strips (navy blue) were randomly cut according to the directions.  It was also good to follow the directions and only do 5 at a time and see how they lay out. 














I used my design wall to pin everything onto which also helped me later to figure out where the pennies should also go. 


 As you can see in the right hand picture, I pinned up the strips so that the bottom section could be viewed. This made it easy once again to see where the Pennies should go.
            
Here in these next two pictures are my sections of 5 strips getting ready to be put together and then the last section of strips to be added.

I will be quilting this over the holiday weekend and will share a finished picture and some of the quilting process.

This was a very easy and fun weekend project!  This pattern can be found on the Bad Ass Quilters Society website under Quick Quilts for Christmas or on Sam Hunter Designs.  You can find the fabric and patterns at Spool with Maddie Kertay being Owner of this shop. See links below!  Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!  Hug your family and enjoy the time you get to spend together this holiday season.
Safe travels!


Hunter's Design Studio:

Spool:



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a very fun pattern and loved blogging about it.

      Delete
  2. It's Hunter's Design Studio - not Sam Hunter Design :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been changed Sam, thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete